Monday, March 25, 2013


I just completed my Hobbit House that was inspired by a picture of a hobbit house that was on Pinterest.  I saw the little house and said I have to make that.  See Below the picture that inspired me.  It was actually a Bonsai Tree by the house but I improvised.  I am calling this house: Spring Time at the Hobbit House.  I worked every night after work and this weekend to complete it in two weeks.  I hope you enjoy the pictures.  I do have a problem though-I have lost my inspiration and do not have a house Idea to start next.  I cant sit still long and this will drive me crazy.  I hope I can get inspired soon.  Have a Wonderful rest of March.  Plus Happy April Fools Day is coming up!  Im so excited, I get to pull some pranks off at work.  The last time April Fools fell on a work day was many years ago and I did so many little mischevious things at work I was in tears laughing so hard.  ( One thing I did was in the kitchen of the office -or you can do this at home is- If you have a Spray Hose on your Sink, take some Scotch Tape and tap down the spray hose handle and aim it where the person would stand in front of the sink, and when they turn on the water the hose will spray them with water-since the handle is taped down.  What I did before to my Co-workers was that I replaced the Sugar container with Salt, and when each co-worker added sugar to their coffee they went to drink it and spit it out in the sink, which then they would go rinse out their coffee cup and get a second April Fools Joke and get really wet from my first joke.  I actually got over 6 people this way at work, but I had to work my butt off and mop up the water in between each time water sprayed all over the kitchen.  I was actually on the ground laughing and crying very hard it was so funny ). 






It took my one solid day just to glue down all the greenery on this house, so much hot glueing went on that my hot glue gun blew up from all the usage and it fried itself with a big electrical pop and smoke. 









I love these little wine bottles, I didnt make them but I plan to make ones like these.  I bought them from vendor the other month at a miniature show.  She made them from Christmas Tree Light Bulbs.  I thinks they are the coolest thing made from ordinary house hold items.  I have already printed up mini labels to make my own wine bottles, but I just need to go through my Christmas decorations and steal a strand of lights.  The lady only cut off the two wires on the bottom of each bulb, so they are still round on the bottom.  I have them held in place with Museum Wax.  I plan to grind down the bottom of each of mine to make them flat.  Ill work on them later thought.




I am very proud of the little round door that I made.  I just sandwiched some balsa wood together and then cut a whole in it and placed a window. 






I ended up running out of the light green foam grass covering that comes in a square sheet, when I was covering the house and then ended up glueing on some sprinkle on grass covering. 








Once I finished adding the floral foam, I then covered the house in paper clay so I can glue down the greenery, since you cant glue anything to the darn floral foam.  This I found out when building the house-Learn as you go.  I had originally thought I could glue onto the floral foam, but since I had never worked with it i didnt know.  I actually almost painted the paper clay at this point since I really liked the clean look. 



I then started adding floral foam around the house.  I forgot to take a picture of the electrical box area.  I made a hidden electrical box area which you can see on the top back of this picture. 



Once I was done with the doors and windows I marked the circle down of the wood front and cut them out.  I then added lots of paper clay and stuccoed the front of the house and made some stones around the door out of the paper clay.  I then added the electrical lines since they would eventually get covered up by foam and more paper clay.  The electrical box on the top of this box will eventually get surrounded with a wood box with a top that comes off, hiding the area from view. 


Here I had just finished painting the paper stones gray and wiping off the watery paint with a towel. 


Just finished sanding off some of the paint on the wood door, and then glued on the little metal hinges and handle.  I had never paid so much for miniature hinges before, I believe they were at around $12.00 just for the 2 hinges.  Plus the bottom hinge eventually failed and the metal cracked which really made me made.  So you can see in the finished pictures of the house that there is greenery growing over the bottom hinge,  I had to glue on a larger hinge over the hinge and hide the add on with greenery.  
It made me very sad since I took my time gluing and nailing in the small nails.  

I started by building the door and windows which the window circles are layers of Balsa Wood glued together, then I added a window in each, then covered the circle with paper and carved in some stones.  I found this Tree at a Home Decor Store and instantly new it would be perfect for the Hobbit House.  I bought 2 of them in case I want to build another Hobbit House. 

My inspiration Picture to build the Hobbit House.

7 comments:

  1. Such detailed work in 2 weeks! I am blown away! It's a wonderful project and must take pride of place somewhere in your lovely home.

    I have read the last post as well and saw how well decorated your real home is too. (by the way, love that touch of green)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your little hobbit house is just wonderful! I love all the detail and especially the greenery. Now you only need a little hobbit to live in it :)

    Illyira

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazingly quick job you made of that project!!! I LOVE Hobbit houses and maybe someday I will have the time to build one! I hope you get inspired for another project, they are such fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoi stan,
    ik vind het weer heel mooi geworden .
    zo knap al die kleine dingen om te maken.
    ik geniet heel veel als ik naar je werk kijk.
    groetjes Marja

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's really beautiful and if you want inspiration....http://www.flickr.com/photos/24796741@N05/page9/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Stan,
    You have just confirmed what I thought of you: there really is nothing you can not accomplish with excellence. Of all the miniaturists out there I think you have the broadest spectrum of projects and every one is always a museum quality piece. I could spend hours looking at the details you put into everything. You really are a huge inspiration!
    Big hug,
    Giac
    a fan

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! So well made and beautiful! Hannah

    ReplyDelete