Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Adobe Mexican Restaurant

 Hi Everyone, I hope you all are having a great March.  I just recently finished my first adobe house I have ever tried to create.  It started out in my mind that it would be a house, but then turned into a Mexican Restaurant.  I was inspired by a friends miniature adobe room box she had on display in her house and thought " I so wanna try to build that"  Well I guess most adobe houses are made out of the white Styrofoam boards about 1/2 in thick, but I so do not like all the little white particles that it creates and static cling effect they cause.  So I went to Home Depot and in their insulation section, I found the purple insulation foam board.  I quickly realized that Hot  Glue will melt the foam.  So trying to find something to glue the insulation foam together was a learning process.  I ended up using bathroom caulking, and screws just for security of making sure the house would not come apart.  Plus a Huge learning process of how much work it is to Plaster the walls and to be able to get them smooth.  I quickly found out that the perfect little adobe house that I was inspired by that my friend Kit made was not going to happen for me.  But I do like my old dilapidated looking building so that's how my little adobe style Mexican Restaurant turned out. I think my favorite thing I did on this building was spending a day creating all the little plants and palm trees!   I hope you all enjoy.  Have a wonderful April everyone!  Stan









I spent one day alone just create the miniature Mexican style tiles, then one long evening gluing each tile down. My tiles are not completely straight by any means.  I was watching a couple of movies while tiling and was a little distracted, plus the tiles themselves were not all perfect for a perfect fit.  But I so wanted to create my own floors and not buy them. 















The little attic bedroom above the restaurant.













I almost stopped working on this project at this point, since the plaster I laid all over the building took me so many many hours to sand as smooth as I could get. 




6 comments:

  1. Hello Stan,
    This is an absolutely wonderful building. Such an interesting shape and character to it. That's what I love about your projects; they're never run-of-the-mill or boring. Your tiles are superb. You may not be happy that they are slightly squiffy....but I think that just adds to the realism you create. I just love it all!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Es precioso!!! Has sabido ambientar perfectamente el estilo mexicano,el suelo de baldosas es magnífico!! Gran trabajo!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project, lots of character - the tiles look great! ( so do the windows - what did you use for the grid?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This is such an incredibly detailed little building! Stan, you have outdone yourself!!! Those tiles are Awesome! I Love the floor and the little courtyard and the plants!!! WOW!!! I want to come have a delicious meal here...! LOL! I guess all the plaster work was worth it after all! Keep up the incredible work! All your projects are so detailed... Nothing stops you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tile for the floors looks flawless to me! Great work! The tile print picture is my favorite in the casita.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful project and so inspiring to me. I would love to make one for the 18 inch doll. Maybe not such a grand scale but start with something smaller.

    ReplyDelete